Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Before and After : The Office

Happy Tuesday sweet readers! Sharing another before and after from our renovation adventures here at the Whitehead Casa today. When we first moved in, the space right off our kitchen was thought of as the breakfast nook. We set up a little bench in there and called it good, thinking we might eat around the small table at some point.  But, we NEVER used that room. It was simply a pass through from the kitchen to the garage that hoarded a lot of clutter. 


"Breakfast Nook" from the day we moved in 


view into the breakfast nook from playroom

I dont have a picture of this room after we put our bench in it, sad to say. But, after living in our home about a year, I began thinking of making it in to a home office. I have shown you guys this picture before, but it inspired me to request my first Clay Whitehead piece :). 


So, using this space as inspiration, I had Clay build me this desk...


The White House Table Co.
Pretty close to the original, huh? The price tag was MUCH lower, too :). I also painted the room this awesome blue. I loved it! Its called "Loyal Blue" from Sherwin Williams. However, the previous owners of our house had done an odd thing in here. There was the thickest texture OVER the original paneling I had even seen. Painting it was a nightmare because it was so thick. But, I thought I could live with it. 

One day last June, while Clay was on his annual guys golf trip, I did this...

The White House Table Co.

Ripped that paneling right off the wall. Sort of. It was one of those projects when I realized how very little I can do without the band of helpers, aka Clay and his parents, I normally have with projects like this. I'm normally the one with the vision, not the muscles! So, I got about 1/3rd of it down before Clay came home. He was SO happy to be greeted by another project :).

We replaced the old paneling with...new paneling. But, we turned it horizontally so it gave the appearance of "planked walls."  After it was up, I began painting it a crisp white. Here is what happened after the first coat. 


It didn't stick. At. all. But, after a few coats of some bonding primer my mother in law had on hand, plus the paint with primer coats I added next, it finally "stuck."  It was not fun. 

Here is the space today: 



The White House Table Co.

It still has a bit of improvement to be made in the curtain/wall decor department, but I love how it feels so far! I am actually sitting at that desk right now writing this blog post :). We (I) use this space so much more now, and I love that I have a little room to call "mine." I hope you like it too!

Big announcement, The White House Table Co. will be at the 



We would love for all of you to come an support this great event! We will have some oversized chalkboards like the one pictured in our office, as well as kids tables and much more! You will also be able to look at our "catalogue" and place custom orders on the spot! I'll do a more detailed post soon, but just thought you might want to put it on your calendars :) 

be blessed,

leslie 











No comments:

Post a Comment